As a mother, reading edifying books on motherhood is one of the ways that I refresh myself. So when Sally Clarkson (the author of this book) began to wrap up her message by explaining how a mother whose well is dry can not continue to give to others (well not without cratering!), I was beyond convinced that this book was (and is!) a treasure.
See Mrs. Clarkson has been more than a mentor to me. She has served as THE mother of mothers in The Mission of Motherhood although she would probably disagree.
“I am not the perfect mother but my vision and understanding of God’s design and intentions gives me a standard of maturing to grow toward.” -Sally Clarkson, The Mission of Motherhood
I have never read a book on motherhood that was so blunt and unapologetic when addressing the Mother’s role in the home. This book is filled with so much perspective and TRUTH, which is so supportive and encouraging to those of us trying to be godly mothers in this satanic world. The book is also filled with her (and her children’s) very own personal stories and testimonies. But not in a braggadocios way because I can not stand that! So trust me, their’s were fitting. The personal stories and analogies were very thought provoking and brought much clarity.
But anyway, as I was getting my thoughts together to share my review with you, I realized that I just could not say enough about this book! Seriously, it’s just that good! So if you’re longing for your home to be peaceful and life giving but you’re struggling with finding balance between building good relationships with you children and the day to day chores of homemaking, or if you’re just in need of some creative ideas and motivation to prepare your children’s hearts for the Lord, then this book is for you. In a world that perverts (and belittles!) the mother’s role (and responsibilities!) Sally gives much needed encouragement, assurance and VISION to us who are truly seeking the Lord in all things.
I remember she talked about motherhood being a partnership with God. Which is true. Not only have we been blessed to assist God in bringing human life into this world but we’ve been given the HONORABLE task of nurturing their little precious souls unto the Lord. NOTHING in the workplace can compete with that—truly impacting generations for the better and ushering people into the kingdom. So again, if you’re interested in being a good (godly) mom, please check out this book because this review doesn’t do it any justice!
♥♥Ps. When looking through books that I might buy (or check out!), I always skim through the Table of Contents. This gives me a brief overview about what will actually be talked about. In case any of you are like me, I’ve taken the time to list the sections and chapter titles. I hope this further encourages you to check out the book out. Seriously, it will bless your life that much 🙂
The Mission of Motherhood (Touching your child’s heart for eternity)
Part 1: A Mother’s calling
- 1. A Journey like no other (Discovering the mission of motherhood)
- 2. Beautiful by design (Exploring the meaning of biblical motherhood)
- 3. The Undivided heart (Committing our lives to God’s design)
Part 2: A Mother’s heart for her God
- 4. The servant mother (Mothering with the heart of Jesus)
- 5. The discipling mother (Reaching children’s heart for Christ)
- 6. The teaching mother (Training children’s minds to think biblically)
Part 3: A Mother’s heart for her children
- 7. Strong friend (Building loving relationships with our children)
- 8. Gardener of souls (Cultivating and enriching our children’s lives)
Part 4: A Mother’s heart for her home
- 9. Keeper of the domain (Embracing God’s call to homemaking)
- 10. The creative mother (Opening windows to God’s artistry and greatness)
- 11. The ministering mother (Bringing God’s purposes into our homes… and beyond)
Part 5: A mother’s heart for eternity
- 12. The faithful mother (Finishing the journey with endurance and grace)