So a few months ago my husband took me to check out a new Marshall’s Home goods in our area. And I just STILL can not believe that I stumbled upon a sage cleansing kit! I mean, this is Texas! Of course there are always creepy idols and occultic objects in these stores but it was just eye opening how acceptable witchcraft (and homosexuality!) has become in
our society THE WORLD. But anyway, that inspired me to share how we as believers should really cleanse our homes.
1. Now first of all, some of us need to start by literally cleaning up our homes lol! They say that cleanliness in next to godliness but a lot of so called Christians are hoarders and pack rats. Filth and darkness alone will attract unclean spirits so keep your house clean. It’s good for your overall health.
2. Repent of your sin and be mindful of the company you keep
A lot of Christians are just religious, so they believe that throwing olive oil all over the walls and laying open bibles out throughout the house drives demons out. No. Unclean spirits typically dwell inside of people (including believers) so they’ll be wherever we are. Repent and receive deliverance. Then, if there really is anything lurking on the outside it will also move around as all sin is being resisted.
“Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” (James 4:7)
In addition to all of that, do not (I repeat, DO NOT) allow anyone else (including your kids!) to sin or bring anything abominable in your house. Which leads me into the next thing..
3. Get rid of ALL cursed objects!
This is very serious because demons are associated with a lot of things and God Himself said that we will become cursed like the cursed items we bring in.
“The graven images of their gods shall ye burn with fire: thou shalt not desire the silver or gold that is on them, nor take it unto thee, lest thou be snared therin: for it is an abomination to the Lord thy God. Neither shalt thou bring an abomination into thine house, lest thou be a cursed thing like it: but thou shalt utterly detest it, and thou shalt utterly abhor it; for it is a cursed thing.” (Dueteronomy 7:25-26)
In my experience, I found out that almost everything I had in my house was cursed. So to this day I decorate like a Minimalist. But when I threw all of that junk out, immediately the atmosphere changed and my children’s night terrors ceased. It does take discernment though. Because some things can be prayed over and purified (like a blanket you’d purchase from a garage sale) but some things are just completely demonic and need to be thrown out immediately. Here are some examples of those things:
- New age/ Occult items (Strange artwork, Symbolic jewelry, Dreamcatchers, Tribal masks, Yoga/meditation stuff etc.)
- False religion literature and artifacts (Koran, Buddha statues, Chinese cats and dragons etc.)
- Representations of God or the heavens (Angel figurines, bible figures, saint icons, crosses and pictures of “Jesus” etc.)
- Anything associated with witchcraft (including mind altering drugs!)
- Satanic (aka Secular) music, movies, magazines and video games (This includes anything promoting sin and wickedness. Ex. Movies glorifying fornication or adultery and witchcraft etc. Music promoting the love of money, pride, fornication, violence etc. Video games with demons/zombies, committing crimes etc.)
- Children’s toys that represent abominable things and/or characters (Ex. superheros, Harry Potter, Disney princesses, Unicorns, Pokemon etc)
- Deceased person’s belongings (Not pictures. I’m talking about things we like to make shrines out of. Grieving the loss of love ones can easily become idolatry and an open door for familiar spirits. So some examples of things that you need to get rid of would be clothes and jewelry that aren’t being worn just being stored for keepsake or leaving their belongings staged as if they were still alive and coming home, Urns etc.)
Again, these are just some examples to get you on the right track. If you have any questions about a specific item you can do some research or email me and we can talk more in depth about it. But remember that dedicating your living space to the Lord has to be more than lip service. We have to become sanctified in our overall lifestyles. So I hope that this post helps and I will be addressing more things like this (concerning spiritual warfare) in the near future.
God bless you and your households!